Monday, February 10, 2014

February 10, 2014
Meekness
Friends and Family!

This week had some interesting turns in it! Some good, some not so good. We found out on Sunday that we are going to be moving out of the large house, or "mansion", so that other elders can move in. Apparently the Bluffdale Stake was housing 3 sets of missionaries, and they didn't want to, so they kicked us out of their stake so they only have to house 2 sets. As a result, we will be moving into a wonderful man's house. I haven't met him yet, but I know he's gone through great sacrifice to let us live with him. 

This week we've been working with the Navarrete family to get them their own testimonies. Still the father, Lorenzo, refuses to read or pray, though he sits in with all the lessons. The mom, Carlita, can't go to church due to recent back and open heart surgeries. The three daughters, however, are progressing well, reading scriptures, praying, and coming to church. It's an interesting division between the family... None of them can progress towards baptism without the parents. 

A surprise this week had me headed back to Kearns! I found out last Wednesday that Zulma Villacorta, my old investigator, had made the decision to get baptized, and she asked the elders to ask me to perform the ordinance. I was able to baptize her last night, and there was a lot of support from the branch. It was great seeing all of the old members and friends I had made in the Kearns West Stake, and it was hard to leave. You'll all have to forgive me for leaving my camera at home, so I have no pictures this week, but I will repent and get them to you next week! 

This week we also had Zone Conference, which is where about 1/3rd of the mission gets together to receive training and to learn. It's always fun to see my old companion, Elder Julian, up front teaching. We focused on inviting people to be baptized and then asking them an inspired question guided by the Spirit. It was spectacular to see how the Spirit worked through these humble 19-21 year old teachers, there were some good questions asked. 

To clarify, since I think I created some confusion before, I only cover the Spanish branch (the 22nd branch) here in Riverton/ Bluffdale. I don't teach investigators in English, though that's where most of my time is spent, talking in English to people, looking for any trail or sign of people who speak Spanish. It's a hard, but rewarding, adventure.

This week we found a man named Alfredo. He let us in his home at 7pm, and we proceeded to teach him the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith. We then asked him to pray, he immediately bowed his head and gave thanks, very simply, for the fact that the authority to act in God's name had been restored, and then said Amen. We then invited him to be baptized and he accepted for the 23rd of February. Unfortunately he was not at his next appointment and we weren't able to set up a ride for him to get to church, and so he'll have to be baptized on a different day; but E. Henderson and I are excited to find another prepared person who's ready to take the responsibility to change and make his life better through giving up some of the things we like in this life, for things that are better. 

This is God's work, there's proof in a 531 page book that you can read and ask God about! The Book of Mormon, another Testament of Jesus Christ.

-Elder Toborg

No comments:

Post a Comment