Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27, 2014        
Transfers this week!
Friends and Family!               
It's great to communicate with you again this week. I hope that some things about God that have been said throughout these 20 months of sending these emails has helped in some small way. My greatest hope is to bring hope to other people. The real import of God's plan sinks in the more we learn about it, the more we apply it to our own lives. 

Elder Parks from Austin, Texas will be going home this coming Wednesday which is transfer day. Hasta Luego Elder Parks! As for where I’m going, I have no idea, but I’m not worried, I know the Lord will take care of me. I'm hoping my 14 month spree in Kearns won't end.

This past week we had some success and some failures. First off, Zulma, our investigator who we found on the 12th, didn't get baptized due to lots of outside pressures. We're still working with her, and we were able to attend another elder's baptismal service with her and the family she lives with. She has been touched by the Spirit many times, and knows this is what she must do, but her family is keeping her from receiving this joy. 

The success was bringing a new family of 5, the Gonzalez family, to our English class on Tuesday night. They were quickly surrounded by the love of the Relief Society and the Young Women. The mother was smiling the whole time, and let us come by to share the Restoration with her family on Thursday. The lesson took a different turn than we thought, and they didn't accept the baptismal invitation. We'll teach them again on Tuesday, hopefully with a more spiritual environment, to allow the Spirit to bear witness to their hearts of the truth of this message, and not just our words. In regards to the hearing and feeling of words, today in Companionship Study with Elder Clark, I learned an example from the Book of Mormon:

In 1 Nephi, Chapter 17, Nephi is explaining to his brothers Lamen and Lemuel why they will not harken (listen) to God, even after they saw an Angel! In verse 45 Nephi says: 

"Ye are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. Ye have seen an angel, and he spake unto you; yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words; wherefore, he has spoken unto you like unto the voice of thunder, which did cause the earth to shake as if it were to divide asunder" (1 Nephi 17:45, Emphasis added). 

I want to draw your attention to where he says they were past feeling and then they could not feel his words. What an interesting concept! Cannot "feel" words? This is because God's spirit, the Holy Ghost, works through our feelings and thoughts and through other means that sometimes we cannot explain with words. It comes through having a humble and open heart to learning. This is the same way I know this is God's church and God's work, and is not created from men. I invite you all to feel the words of God by reading the Book of Mormon (or a portion of it), pondering the message it contains and then asking God, in the name of Christ, if the book is true. You'll get an answer that will be unique to you, that I know through personal experience.



Speaking of the Book of Mormon, I finished for the first time, the Book of Mormon read aloud in Spanish. This has taken quite a lot of time, and is based on the promise from President Gordon B. Hinckley that if one reads the Book of Mormon aloud in another language, taking the time to understand everything they are reading, then they will be fluent in that language by the time they are done. I can't say I’ve looked up every word, and so I won't call myself fluent, however my Spanish abilities have increased impressively over the last 20 months that I have been reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish. I know it's true, and now I have two languages of experience C: 

Seatttle in January
This work is great, share it will someone else!
Love,
-Elder Toborg

P.S. Go SeaHawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment