Monday, September 16, 2013

Sept 16, 2013

What he taught me

Super Hero Elder Maughan
Peter Maughan was an incredible soul. Our loving Heavenly Father gave us him for 20 years, to learn from, and to be loved by him. He was my dearest friend, and one who I call my brother. He passed away yesterday while serving in the Veracruz, Mexico Mission as a full-time representative of Jesus Christ.
In this email, I will attempt to relate some of the things that I learned from him. 

He taught me patience in a world of Haste; to pause and observe. Dedication to others, he taught me well through his example. If he ever had malice towards others, I never could tell. Faith, hope, charity and love, these divine attributes Peter truly received from above. When we remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence, we can remember him. 
These attributes come from our Savior, Jesus Christ, and so many were taken to heart by Peter. As his name so rightly implies, Peter was a Rock in a shifting world of values. And now my friends, family, and all inhabitants of the earth, "Remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation...a foundation where on if men build they cannot fall" (Helaman 5:12). 
Elder Peter Maughan's commission as a representative of Jesus Christ was to "invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ, and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end" (Preach My Gospel 1). I know that he still has this commission, as revealed by a modern day prophet, Joseph F. Smith: "I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead." (Doctrine & Covenants 138:57)

He taught me life, to live with friends and create bonds. These bonds supersede earthly ties, and extend into eternity. This is only possible through the restored priesthood authority of God. 

One may come to a knowledge of what Peter gave his life for through The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. As the introduction states, "we invite all men everywhere to read The Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true."

Because this book is true, Jesus Christ lives. He overcame death and was resurrected. Because this book is true, Peter is in "a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where [he rests] from all [his] troubles and from all care and sorrow." (Alma 40:12) Because this book is true, Peter, along with every other soul, will someday resurrect, just as Christ did: "The soul shall be restored to the body, and the body to the soul; yea, and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body; yea, even a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored to their proper and perfect frame" (Alma 40:23). 

He taught me how to hug. How to embrace so tightly that his love is squeezed right into your soul. Because The Book of Mormon is true, I will embrace him again.

He taught me temperance. How to taste of everything and not over indulge. 

He taught me sacrifice, as he spent time and resources helping others learn, grow and progress. He truly sought to exalt others over himself; never admitting accomplishments where he excelled over someone else. One of the highest forms of humility. 

I shall see Peter again, if I live the commandments God has put forth. I exhort all to search the scriptures, to have faith, repent, be baptized in the church of Jesus Christ, who is the only one with power to forgive sin. I love Peter. I love the Lord, and I will continue being his servant. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful testimony and love. The Gospel made your brothers but your service and love the Lord's work took that brotherhood to eternal realms. You are both super heroes, now one on each side of the veil. The work goes on for God loves all of His children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful testimony and love. The Gospel made your brothers but your service and love the Lord's work took that brotherhood to eternal realms. You are both super heroes, now one on each side of the veil. The work goes on for God loves all of His children.

    ReplyDelete