Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 11, 2013

Friends and Family!

The ice age is over here in Utah. All the snow has melted. In fact, we've even been getting some rain.

E. Smith and I use our bikes from 2-5pm and then we switch to the car when the temperatures go down, hopefully that will combat all this food that's getting shoved into me.

There were some changes in our mission, one was worldwide, and that is that we can now email anyone and everyone during P-day. For me, this means that I can email Mr. Elder Maughan whom is located down South, south, south, in a place where mail doesn't make it past the Gangs. Also this means if you email me, I can email you back :) So no more mailing and never hearing from me again, which I’m known to do because I’m still working on the attribute of organization.

This week my companion E. Smith received some sobering news, and that was that if he doesn't improve his Spanish by the end of this transfer, he's going to be switched to the English assignment. Apparently there are too many Spanish elders and not enough Spanish areas. We've been hitting Spanish hard this week. Sure makes me grateful that the Lord blessed me with all the situations to help me learn Spanish as fast as needed. I still am not fluent in any means, but I’m beginning to understand most of the things people say to me. Level 2: I can understand Spanish on the phone. The only thing people need to feel is the Spirit, but being able to understand them when they say "my Dad died and so I hate God now" helps us teach to their needs.

It's great to hear about the people who are getting ready to leave on their missions, it will be the hardest work you will ever do, but it will be the most rewarding ever. As I look back on my time, I wouldn't trade it for anything, and that's because I earned it; known in the scriptures as trial by fire.

I learned a valuable lesson this week from my Zone Leaders. That is, help people learn for themselves. Ask questions until they answer the question themselves. God did it with Adam, my mission president did it with me, and the zone leaders have learned how to do it with me. Now I’m learning how to help my district teach themselves. If in the end they can't get the answer, you send them to Preach My Gospel or the scriptures. It's a great way to learn.

The best way to learn is to apply all the things you learn to your own life (1 Nephi 19:23). Re-read the Book of Mormon with a problem in mind, and watch as it speaks directly to you.

My District is going wild so it's time to go now,

Take care everyone!

-Elder Toborg-

No comments:

Post a Comment