Monday, October 29, 2012


Oct. 29, 2012


Hello everyone!

In two days I will be done with my 2nd transfer here in the field, and done with the Infield training which gives me an extra hour of companionship studies each morning. It certainly will be a change when I have another hour to work in the field and less time to study. I hope the work picks up! The secret to missionary work is... work!

This week has been filled with the spirit from the result that my companion and I worked much harder than we had the previous week, and we saw the blessings the Lord gave us as a result. Yesterday, Sunday the 28th, Alejandro was baptized, and it was one of the most spiritual baptisms we have had. We kept it as short as possible, and as quiet as possible, this allowed the spirit to teach and testify, which is the best teacher of them all. With the baptism of Alejandro, we currently have 9-10 potential investigators, but 0 progressing investigators, meaning we aren’t teaching anyone on a regular basis. We find most of our investigators through referrals from white people who say "yeah I see all the Hispanics over in that neighborhood." Rarely do we need to track, and when we do it's mostly all non-Spanish speakers. We do have some apartment complexes that consist of mostly Hispanics, and those we have tracked many, many times.

The Spanish branch that we attend and keep watch over is called the Galena Branch, and we have about 150~ members that attend Sacrament Mtg. each week. The Galena branch covers all of Sandy, thereby making our mission area that we are assigned to practically all of Sandy. There is another branch that pokes its nose into the Sandy city limits but we do not cover that branch. We haven't been asked to talk since that first week, but my companion has been asked to be the Spanish-> English translator a couple times which he finds as a very hard task. Any English speakers who come to our meetings can have a headset similar to what they have at General Conference, and someone at the stand translates into English. This upcoming week, my companion and I have been asked to speak at one of the Stake conferences, just a short 5 minute talk on the Doctrine of Christ. With transfers coming up on Wednesday, we do not know if both of us are going to get to speak, but like a scout, it's good to "Be Prepared!"

Halloween is on Wednesday as I'm sure you've all forgotten. Or due to the increase in partying that I hear, it sounds like your lives revolve around Halloween right now. ;) Usually in the mission, during these holidays in which missionaries cannot be out working, the missionaries gather for something called "mission conference" and they do various activities, one being watching a Disney film (the only time we can watch anything worldly). However, the mission could not reserve a building to do this, so this time we're doing something much more spiritually uplifting. The whole mission, all 200 missionaries, are going to do two endowment session at the Jordan River Temple, afterward we will hear a talk from the Temple president. No Disney movies will be played, but I’m sure it will be a much better experience for the entire mission.

I still haven't heard anything about Elder Maughan; I hope he's doing alright in his new environment! I can't help thinking about how tall and out of place he must look there, because almost everyone in my Spanish branch is around 5'7! I hope Elder Hamblin and Elder Rennie are also doing great!

I've been studying the Word of Wisdom again, this time using the pamphlets that we use to teach our investigators, and using D&C 89. Something interesting I read was that wheat is for Man, oats for the horses, corn for the Ox, etc... The first thing that came to my mind was "Yeah, humans shouldn't be eating all this high fructose corn syrup, give it to the oxen, and we should be eating more wheat!" Then I turn around and look at my oat meal and think "Guess I'm eating horse food." I love oatmeal, and not only because it costs 3$ for 30 bowls of oatmeal. Once again i encourage you all to follow the word of wisdom and eat grains and wheat as the staple of your diet. This week i lost 2.5 pounds just by eating only oats, wheat bread, veggies and fruits, and trying to limit my meat. I promise there are a lot of delicious wheat things out there, and vegetables too!

This week we had the special opportunity to attend to a special Hispanic cultural performance down at Temple Square in Salt Lake, which was held in the conference center. It was really well done, but sadly by the time we reached half way through the performance, it was time for us to return to our houses, as the hour was getting late. So many people from our branch were in the performance, and it actually helped me appreciate Hispanic music more. I hope it's on LDS.org so you all can watch it too!

I have not received mail for today yet but I’m sure I'll receive Mom's package and my ballot to vote. Thanks for everything you do for me! I'm so grateful to have such great support behind me as I do the Lord's work!

I love you all, and remember to do small kind things for everyone, who knows how your example can change someone's life!

-Elder Toborg-

No comments:

Post a Comment