Tuesday, August 28, 2012


Aug 27, 2012
Another week in Sunny Sandy

 Hola mis amigos!

This week has gone just as fast as the others! The Spanish area is accelerating in a most rapid manner. We have 4 people with a baptismal date for September, and we have Jaime Montoya's baptism this Wednesday! He's so solid in the gospel. I had the opportunity to take Jaime down to temple square to learn from the sites and buildings down there; that's a major blessing from this mission is all of the Church material that is available (and of course the members that pay for groceries and things etc...). We're making a lot more progress, thanks to the Lord's help, in our area. My first week here, I only taught 3 lessons total in the whole week. Last week we taught 15; and we're getting more and more people interested in the gospel! The Lord sure had a hand in this!


 We get to play sports every single morning as part of our hour of exercise, but now it's starting to get too competitive. We have Samoans, college basketball players, and a lot of high school athletes in this zone, so they all like to go hard core. I love it, it gets the blood pumping and I have a great time. Both of my companions (Elder Gomez and Gonzalez) happen to be 5'1 or 5'2, so it's very easy for them to get demolished. The complaining is starting to seep through but I just try to keep them both in high spirits!
 
I had the opportunity to go on splits with the Zone leaders on Thursday; it was inspirational! The zone leader that went with Elder Gonzalez and I (Elder Thomas was his name) is so bold in the way he talks to people. He really taught me a valuable lesson which is to just be a human being, be yourself, with a message centered on the gospel. If the people think you're just a... well... stereotypical missionary who wants to baptize you, then they won't be interested. You have to open them up, find what they take value in, seize that, and leader them to realize how much the Gospel can improve that aspect of their lives.

We also got a 4th companion! for... 30 minutes we found a stray cat who followed us around as we knocked doors; it even went up the door to greet the people! We named him Contact Cat; but I don't think we'll see him again.

It was great to hear about Peter's experiences in the MTC; His situation sounds exactly the same as mine! Except I didn't play soccer ever (Peter, try sand volleyball, it is LeGiT). Also; Peter, to eat healthy just grab salad from the places right before the main meal, and then hit up the left-over table way in the back (not the side by the grill/salad bar); that's where you will find your healthy food choices.

The question was brought forth to my attention by my wonderful Mother, of which language I speak more. I'd say I really do speak English more; because our zone of 30~ missionaries all speak English, Elder Gomez learned English at a private school in Mexico, and Elder Gonzalez lived in St. George Utah for 8 years before his mission so he knows English too. I try to speak to my companions in as much as possible; but we normally speak English. It's a little difficult to teach people in English because all of our materials are in Spanish; so really all we can give them is a Mormon.org card.
 
I've been learning so much from my 4 hours of study each day; Peter make sure you value your personal study time like GOLD, for it's worth more in the field! Mosiah 15:17-18: "And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who shall hereafter publish peace, yea, from this time henceforth and forever! 18) And behold, I say unto you, this is not all. For O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that is the founder of peace, yeah, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people; yeah, him who has granted salvation unto his people;"
As missionaries, we are following the example of the Lord our Savior; and our work is great. But we must also be cautious; for as said in Mosiah 15:26; if people willfully rebel against God, that have known the commandments of God, they will have no part in the resurrection of the righteous. We must not baptize people for numbers; we must make sure they are converted or we are just submitting them to spiritual damnation.

I haven't gotten mail yet, so sorry if you asked me questions and I didn't answer them here! Thank you Mom and Dad for your messages, I always read those before I write. Thank you Mary and Peter for the Tapatio and the sour patch kids; My zone leader ate the whole bag of sour patch kids during our exchange, but I use the Tapatio always; and that ground pepper is a beauty.

Mom; Keep forwarding Peter's letters so I can read them too!

You're all in my Prayers always! I'll try to download some pictures that my mom will put on my Blog or Facebook or where ever she puts those pictures

Love you all!

-Elder Toborg-

No comments:

Post a Comment