Friday, June 22, 2012


June 9, 2012
 
Hey Everyone!

I'm on my fourth day in the mission field, at the MTC currently, and so far, wow there is so much work!

I'll begin by answering the questions you sent me mom:

My companion is Elder Bay, from Portland Oregon, and his Spanish is better than mine, however not much.

My District contains 8 Elders. No one else in the entire MTC that I've met so far is going to Salt Lake City South, Spanish or English speaking.

All the Elders on my floor are state-side Spanish speakers, besides a few foreign. Most of the people are going to Houston, Texas. My companion is going to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I've been over indulging on the same unlimited food (minus NO SPINACH!) as the Cannon Center.

When we head to class, we have the same teacher each time, Brother Wood, who only speaks in Spanish. I've been placed in the "intermediate" class, and so everyone in class is not fluent in the language, but understands the concepts of conjugating and some vocabulary. I'm happy to say I can visualize all the stories he tells us, even though I can't quite understand every word he says. Every now and then, we get 1 hour of independent language study, but overall you never study the language with a teacher, you just use the language. So far I can understand most everything, however when I speak, I cannot remember the correct verbs to use.
 
Sleep is the most covetous thing in the MTC, and though we get a little under 8 hours a day, it still doesn't seem like enough, and everyone drifts off every once and a while during personal study (which we get about 2-3 hours a day of to study language, or gospel).

My P-Day is actually Friday. We go to the temple at 6:30 (7:00 session) in the morning, which means less sleep. However, everyone says its the best part of the week, so I'm looking forward to going next week.

We get about one hour a day to use the computers for "TALL" (Technology assisted Language Learning) which allows us to hear the Spanish being spoken, as well as record our voice and hear ourselves by playing it back to us. We're not allowed to listen to any music in any form here at the MTC so singing acapela hymns become our only source of music.

Thank you all for the Dear Elder letters I received, I got one from Dad, Mom and Jessica, it was nice to get 3 letters on the first day we collected mail. Besides constant exhaustion, the MTC is great and the spirit is always so strong everywhere I go.

Well my time is short, if you have any questions just Dear-Elder them to me! Love you all and thank you for your support!

-Elder Toborg

No comments:

Post a Comment